This weekend, April 12-14, the University of Missouri (MU) has Open House, Family Weekend, Spring Family Fling, and Sustainability Week events! The events mentioned below cover Friday night through Sunday. The Open House has the most events on Saturday from 10 am to 2 pm. We have never seen this much available altogether, including
- educational activities for all ages
- see what is new on the campus
- explore new research
- explore things you never knew MU had
- science, journalism, art, music, performances, and movie showings
For all the events and details (including the notes section of events), check the FreeColumbiaMo.com (FCMo) calendar.
All parking garages (MU or downtown) are free on weekends (Saturday-Sunday). Some MU lots are free (check sign at lot entrance). Metered street parking fees are in effect on Saturday from 9am-7pm.
See Ralph Breaks the Internet in Wrench Auditorium (Memorial Union South). Showings are Fri, Apr 12, and Sat, Apr 13, at 6 pm and 8 pm both days.
The mentalist, Craig Karges will perform in Jesse Auditorium (Jesse Hall) at 7 pm.
Saturday Morning Science, with Nobel Prize winner George Smith speaking on “Crickets Teach Us Science Reasoning”, will continue with its regular time of 10:30 am (show up at 10 am for bagels and donuts), but will be in Jesse Auditorium (Jesse Hall) this week.
From 11:45 am-1:45 pm, see the Marching Mizzou Drum Major Finalist Auditions at Hearnes Center southwest parking area.
Departments participating in the Open House (10 am-2 pm):
- The School of Journalism has a Sneak Peek of the New Journalism Building (100A Reynolds Journalism Institute), as well as many other journalism activities.
- See the historic Conley House while visit the Campus Writing Program.
- Ellis Library
- Enns Entomology Museum
- Laws Observatory
- Engineering (multiple locations), including immersive virtual reality
- Recreation Center
- Mobile Meteorological Observatory
- Mizzou Botanic Garden Tour
- Chancellor’s House
- Buck’s Ice Cream
- Ambulance and helicopter tour (hospital), plus more hospital and health care activities
- Tucker Greenhouse Tour
- Human Environmental Sciences
- Writing, literature and English Department (multiple activities/locations)
- Rhynsburger Theatre
From the School of Music:
- See the Concert Jazz Band at The Shack, Friday at 7 pm.
- Friday, 8:30 pm, there is a Student Degree Recital (voice) at Whitmore Recital Hall
- During the Open House (10 am-2 pm), there will be an Instrumental Petting Zoo at McKee Gymnasium, where people can explore a variety of instruments.
- Saturday at 6 pm, there is the Ars Nova Singers Concert at Mizzou North, which includes a tour of the Museum of Art & Archaeology, the concert, and a reception following. Registration info on the FCMo calendar.
- On Sunday there will be three student ensemble performances at Whitmore Recital Hall at 12:30 (horn choir), 3:30 (trombone choir), and 7 pm (opera).
If you like sports, see MU play MU in the Mizzou Football Spring Game at Faurot Field at 3 pm on Saturday. Then from 6-8 pm, watch Greek Week Soccer at Stankowski Field.
Again, there is so much more than we can list in this post, check the FCMo calendar for details and relevant links.
Enjoy all the great events and Have a great weekend!
Share in the comments (or with our social links below) what you attended, and what you thought about those events—let others benefit from your experiences.
Thank you for using FreeColumbiaMo.com!
See all the events, and details, by viewing the FCMo calendar.
Share this post using the icons below.
This post may contain affiliated links. Accordingly, we may receive compensation—please turn off ad blockers before clicking on links, so that we can get credit. Compensation does not result in increased costs or influence our recommendations, and may even offer you better deals. Any compensation we receive goes to support continuation of FreeColumbiaMo.com. Thank you!